Zong Launches Free Basics (Internet.Org) In Pakistan
Facebook collaborates Zong Pakistan to launch Free Basics of Internet.org in Pakistan so as to connect more people to the Internet. According to Zong, this collaboration enables Zong users to access a wide range of free basic service including news, health, travel, local jobs, sports, education, services for women, entertainment and much more by means of the freebasics.com website as well as mobile application.
Facebook’s internet.org is a worldwide initiative which allows the users to access selected internet or selected websites for free without any data charges. One billion people across Asia, Africa and Latin America can access Free Basics. Previously, Telenor Collaborated Facebook to launch internet.org in Pakistan. Now, Zong has also joined hands with Facebook for the same cause.
How to Use Free Basics on Zong:
- Zong customers are simply required to enable their data services and then go to freebasics.com or download app from iOS or Play store.
- Start browsing the websites available on Free Basics.
- For browsing Free Basics, There won’t be any data charges.
- The data consumed by the smartphone in the background will be charged as per the usual tariffs. In order to avoid this, disable auto-sync, or any other services and apps for any unwanted data consumption
- Zong customers will be charged as per their data plan for richer content, like videos or external links. For e.g. when they click on the ‘View Photos’ digital button in the Facebook page, a pop-up will inform customers when they click on such content that they will charged for this action.
- Both Prepaid and Postpaid Zong customers will be able to get free access to both Facebook and Free Basic services correspondingly.
- To use these services, there is no subscription required.
- This service will be available to all Zong customers by default.
The Director Marketing at Zong, Mr. Zhang Peng, commented on the launch ceremony and said,
We are excited to make the Internet available to millions of people in Pakistan through the launch of Free Basics by Facebook. This program will endorse the use of the Internet and help enrich people’s lives with novel opportunities.
The Head of Growth Partnerships, APAC at Facebook, Ms. Anna Nygren, also shared her thoughts and said,
A significant part of providing internet access to the two-thirds of the world not yet connected is addressing the barriers to internet implementation. Today’s launch of Free Basics in Pakistan with Zong brings us one step closer to closing the universal connectivity gap.