When is 3G & 4G coming to your city?
Government of Pakistan has finally official and successfully owned and auction the licenses for 3G and 4G services. Almost all of the 3G compatible mobile phone users are anxiously waiting for the formal receiving of 3G and 4G signals in their locality for the fast speed internet surfing.
The arrival of 3G and 4G services in your area depends on certain key points that are given below:
- Telecom companies would be able to completely obtain the licenses for 3G and 4G services when they would pay minimum 50% of their respective price of bid within 30days from the date of auction.
- Mobile phones should be 3G and 4G compatible.
- The cellular networks should actually be offering 3G services. For this purpose, Warid subscribers can switch.
- The city in which users resides as 3G and 4G services are available in some major cities of Pakistan including Karachi, Lahore, Rawalpindi and Islamabad.
Fortunately, the cellular users do not need to purchase new SIMs as the faster technology of 3G and 4G will be available on their current connections as well. In the information memorandum for spectrum auction, PTA has already set the schedule of hitting 3G and 4G services in your city. However, Telenor network is already providing 3G services on trial basis to its subscribers in cities like Karachi, Lahore, Rawalpindi and Islamabad.
3G Technology in Your City:
Timeline set by PTA for the availability of 3G services in your locality is given below:
- In the 1st period, if the 3G compatible handset user lives in cities including Karachi, Lahore, Rawalpindi and Islamabad, telecom companies will sooner give 3G services within 9 months. However, the availability of 3G services in other provincial capitals including Peshawar and Quetta is expected earlier very soon.
- In the 2nd period, telecom companies will make it possible the availability of 3G services in further 10 cities of Pakistan within 18 months after acquiring the license of 3G network. These cities include Faisalabad, Multan and Rawalpindi from Punjab province and Hyderabad and Sukkur from Sindh province. According to the business market, telecom companies will sooner decide that in which cities of KP and Balochistan province, they would launch 3G services.
- In the 3rd period, telecom companies would give 3G services in all of the major district headquarters of every province within 4 years of acquiring the license.
- In the 4th period, telecom companies would make it possible for it subscribers to enjoy 3G services even in the smallest cities like Tehsil headquarters with 6 years of acquiring the 3G services license i.e. by 2020.
4G Technology in Your City:
Only very less handsets are available that are compatible with 4G technology and only Zong network has acquired the license for 4G services. Timeline set by PTA for the availability of 4G services in your locality is given below:
- Zong is supposed to present 4G services to its subscribers living in Lahore, Karachi, Islamabad, Peshawar and Quetta within 1 year of acquiring 4G license.
- Within 4 years of acquiring license, 4G services will be available in 10 cities and at least 1 city will be belonging to each province. So among the potential contenders, Multan, Faisalabad, Hyderabad and Rawalpindi are top listed.
- Within 5 years of acquiring license, 4G services will be available in half of the district headquarters.
- Within 7 years of acquiring license, 4G services will be available in 25% of Tehsil headquarters.